Date: Thursday, October 17, 2019
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: South St. Paul Public Library
Join the Dakota County Historical Society for our new monthly book club, "Books From Our Shelves." Each book selected relates to an aspect of Minnesota history and comes from the shelves of our gift shops.
Please note, due to a conflict, the author is not able to be in attendance.
October's book is "Alice in France: The World War I Letters of Alice M. O'Brien," by Nancy O'Brien Wagner. In March 1918, twenty-six-year-old Alice O'Brien set off from New York harbor, bound for wartime France. As an unpaid volunteer, O'Brien came from a wealthy family and knew how to drive her own car, speak French and had a passion to contribute to the war effort. Author Nancy O'Brien Wagner utilizes letters written from Alice back home to tell the story of Alice and her wartime experiences overseas. For the full Minnesota Historical Society Press summary, please click here.
Books From Our Shelves is a monthly book club. Each session will run from 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Upcoming Dates & Books
- November 14: "The Hardest Lot of Men," by Joseph Fitzharris
- January 16, 2020: "Gentle Warriors: Clara Ueland and the Minnesota Struggle for Woman Suffrage," by Barbara Stuhler
- February 13, 2020: "Mrs. Ambassador: The Life and Politics of Eugenie Anderson," by Mary Dupont
- March 12, 2020: "This Water Goes North," by Dennis Weidemann
- April 9, 2020: "Stassen Again," by Steve Werle
- May 14, 2020: "In the Garden of Beasts," by Erik Larson
- June 11, 2020: "Across America on an Emigrant Train," by Jim Murphy
Registration for the event is not required, but allows us to track attendance and provide updates on the event with attendees.