Date: Thursday, November 14, 2019
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Lawshe Memorial Museum
Join the Dakota County Historical Society for our monthly book club, "Books From Our Shelves." Each book selected relates to an aspect of Minnesota history and comes from the shelves of our gift shops.
Please note, author Joe Fitzharris will be present at this event to discuss his book, the research involved and to autograph purchased copies.
November's book is "The Hardest Lot of Men: The Third Minnesota Infantry in the Civil War," by Joseph Fitzharris. Outstanding in appearance, discipline, and precision at drill, the Third Minnesota Volunteer Infantry was often mistaken for a regular army unit. Rebel Colonel Ponder described the regiment as "the hardest let of men he'd ever run against." Fitzharris uses letters, personal accounts of the men, and other sources to recount how the Minnesotans, prisoners of war and broken in spirit and morale, went home and found redemption before heading south. For a full description of this book, please visit the University of Oklahoma Press by clicking here.
Books From Our Shelves is a monthly book club that meets on the second Thursday of each month listed below. Each session runs from 7 p.m. - 8 p.m. Copies of this book can be purchased in each any our gift shops, or via our online gift shop by clicking here.
Upcoming Dates & Books
- January 16, 2020: "Gentle Warriors: Clara Ueland and the Minnesota Struggle for Woman Suffrage," by Barbara Stuhler
- February 13, 2020: "Mrs. Ambassador: The Life and Politics of Eugenie Anderson," by Mary Dupont
- March 12, 2020: "This Water Goes North," by Dennis Weidemann
- April 9, 2020: "Stassen Again," by Steve Werle
- May 14, 2020: "In the Garden of Beasts," by Erik Larson
- June 11, 2020: "Across America on an Emigrant Train," by Jim Murphy
Registration for the event is not required, but allows us to track attendance and provide updates on the event with attendees. Please check back later for updates. Books selected are subject to change.