Dakota County Historical Society
To preserve, interpret and promote the history of Dakota County.

Location: 8th and Vermillion Streets

The Methodist Church is the oldest church building in Hastings. Built in 1862 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, it is a simple clapboard building combining eclectic design elements from Greek Revival, Gothic Revival and Italianate styles. Originally constructed on 5th Street, it was moved in 1871 to its 8th Street location.

In 1854 Methodist minister Rev. C. C. Kidder had charge of the region south of St. Paul. On a visit to Hastings he found about a dozen Methodist families whom he began to serve. In 1855 Rev. James G. Johnson, who lived northwest of Red Wing, was assigned to the Prescott Mission and the Hastings group came under his care. The group officially organized in 1856 when it elected its first board of stewards. At first, services were held in the Teutonia Hall and Sunday School at the Twitchell schoolhouse. In 1857 Eli Robinson gave a half lot on the west side of Vermillion Street where the first church was built in 1861 under the pastorate of Rev. J. D. Rich. The building was paid for before the contract was let.

The location proved unsatisfactory because the lot was low and wet, and in 1871 the building was moved to Eighth and Vermillion. At this time the tower was added. In 1894, a large addition was built into the original building for more seating.

Visit one of these Dakota County Historic Sites