Dakota County Historical Society
To preserve, interpret and promote the history of Dakota County.

Location: 400 Third Ave. S.

South St. Paul’s ethnic diversity is noted in the National Register by the inclusion of the Serbian Home. Built in 1924, the brick two-story building served as a gathering place for the many Serbians who settled in the industrial town, attracted by the need for labor in the packing plants. After witnessing hundreds of weddings and funerals, the building closed in the 1980s, unable to pay its back taxes.
The building’s fervent supporters, most notably Ted Trkla, worked tirelessly to reopen the hall in 1996 as a museum honoring the many ethnic groups which settled in the city.

The building was elevated to the National Register in 1992, making it only the second historic site in the city of South St. Paul.

Visit one of these Dakota County Historic Sites