There are three known Native American burial sites in Burnsville. The one unearthed at River Hills is believed to be the oldest, as no artifacts other than bones were discovered there. In 1943 on the Tom Kenneally Farm another burial site was uncovered of more recent origin. This site contained numerous artifacts from trade with the Michigan area and the bodies were buried in wooden coffins with glass panes – most likely built by the Pond brothers between 1834 and 1856 when they made coffins for their Indian friends. The third burial site Teepee Hill on an eastern bluff overlooking the Credit River. Before the consecration of St. John’s Cemetery the bodies of some early white settlers were also placed in the burial mound.