Thursday, May 26, 2022
Dakota County Historical Society
To preserve, interpret and promote the history of Dakota County.

William Thompson’s beautiful French Second Empire style house was built in 1880.
Thompson was born in Maine in 1832 and came to Minnesota in 1857. A wheat buyer for the Little Cannon Flour Mills in Cannon Falls, Thompson also served as vice-president of the German American Bank in Hastings and he owned several large farms in the county.
Thompson also owned a sawmill with R. C. Libbey and he operated a sash and door factory in conjunction with the mill. This woodworking expertise is reflected in the house’s interior; it is well-preserved even though it has functioned as a hospital and apartment house.
The exterior of the house is striking with its red brick walls rising from a high limestone foundation. A mansard roof, ornately decorated with scalloped wood shingles, towers above a bracketed cornice.
Thompson’s only daughter, Katherine, inherited the property upon the death of her mother in 1904. Katherine married Captain Earnest C. Anthony in 1898. Previously involved in steamboating, Captain Anthony came to Hastings in 1887 where he took up the trade of electrician, building an electric light plant in Hastings. He operated the Hastings plant for a number of years before returning to steamboating and running a line of boats from St. Paul to St. Louis. When he retired from the river trade in 1905, he dabbled in Hastings real estate. Captain Anthony died in 1923, his wife Katherine Thompson Anthony in 1928.
In 1929, Dr. Herman Fasbender, Sr. purchased and remodeled the Thompson house for the new location of St. Raphael Hospital. In the 1930s, Dr. Fasbender moved a hand lift elevator from a store he owned on 2nd Street and installed it in the house.
After the new Regina Memorial Hospital opened in Hastings in 1953, St. Raphael’s closed and the building was converted into an apartment house. In 1979, Pam and Richard Thorsen purchased the Thompson house and made it into a bed and breakfast inn.

Visit one of these Dakota County Historic Sites